Search This Blog

Sunday, November 3

Reporting from Rwanda for the ICT4Ag Conference

The plane taxis to a stop while the perfunctory airline safety protocol is announced.  Jimmy Cliff’s timeless tune, “I Can See Clearly”, welcomes us to Rwanda. The nostalgic words coming over the system have never been more profound:
I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
I can see all obstacles in my way.
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.
It's gonna be a bright (bright) bright (bright) sunshinin' day.
It's gonna be a bright (bright) bright (bright) sunshinin' day.”

From my window seat, I can appreciate the beauty of the day despite my fatigue. This journey across different time zones began on the night of October 30. Cold rain greeted me in London and the day was spent under overcast skies. It was a night flight out of Heathrow too and dawn was only breaking when the plane landed in Kenya. But today, November 1, sun streams through the plane window-the light at the end of the tunnel!

Bright, sunshining day
As the plane prepared to land, and the rolling landscape became more defined, I marveled at the land distribution. Rural development was planned into a seamless quilt of shades of green and brown. Even from way up here, the place looks so clean! Rwanda’s “almost litter-free” status had been indicated in the information package provided by the event organisers. Admittedly, I instead entertained anxious anticipation of being hauled off to prison or fined. I’m expecting a search of my luggage “at the border and even at police checkpoints throughout the country” to enforce the plastic bag ban. I mentally review the contents of my suitcase. Never in my travelling history has a bag been more carefully packed.
Window seats are always the best


My first experience in Kigali, Rwanda validates it as the choice of venue for the ICT4Ag Conference. Technology is very evident from the start. At immigration I am asked to look into the webcam on the counter for my photo to be taken. My thumb prints are also electronically scanned. This is my first entry point of this trip through several international airports which requires this of me. It is only fitting that this is where we engage discussion on ICT applications to farming, fisheries and livestock. I am especially eager to discover the existing ICT solutions, the latest technological innovations, in agriculture. Lucky for me these will be on exhibition on Day 1-Plug and PlayDay.

Before the official Conference activities from the November 4-8, the Social Reporting team will be trained in the use of social media tools to generate broad online awareness, interest and participation for events beginning with the ICT4Ag Conference.  The ICT4Ag Social Reporting Team is a diverse group from ACP countries. I look forward to this interactive learning experience. The journey to become an ICT4Ag Professional, particularly skilled in social media and social reporting has brought me this far in such a short space of time. I see a bright sunshining future for me.

Where are you on the road to achieving your goals?

2 comments:

  1. Delighted indeed!

    A very creative piece on your journey to Rwanda as part of the Social Reporters team for the ICT4Ag13 Conference. I believe we, the social reporters, can all relate extremely well to your feelings and share similar sentiments.

    The two days of the Social Reporter's training have been so enlightening, laying the foundation to creating the best contents of what this conference has to offer and sharing it on the web via various media platforms - reaching as many as possible. The twist is not only capturing these captivating ideas/innovations but squeezing the secrets of success out, building on the lessons learnt and making it possible in other locations around ACP! This is as exciting as it gets..and I am definitely up for it!

    Its about harnessing the power of ICTs - as we have already realized that tailor-made ICT applications/tools provide great leverage to the already existing farming, fisheries and livestock sector. We, the social reporters are responsible for making others aware of the existence of the vast array of innovations available and getting them involved to enhance their agricultural and income earning potential.

    Lets aim for a revolution guys and let us, the Social Reporters, be the 'rebels' in influencing this rise to smart agriculture, heavy youth involvement and food security!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Ritz! I apologise for my long overdue response. It was a great social reporting experience. I am thankful for the concepts learnt at the training that allowed us to perform to the best of our ability and receive rave reviews :) I was also delighted to have met you in person:) We will continue the mission from our respective corners of the globe

    ReplyDelete