Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 22

Anthurium Adventure

Going by the book

All products come with the instruction manual? In this case it is the "Cultivation Guide Anthurium-Global Know-How for Growers aaround the Globe". However, I do not want to thoroughly read this 140-page book in one sitting on a subject that I will not be formally tested on. Luckily I have had the benefit of field trips of the St. Lucia Floral  Co-operative Society Limited during which I was privy to best practices. Also, mentorship has provided me with a live resource to refer to as problems require resolutions.  

Written guide

Getting down to work

The plants that I am responsible for are already planted but are in desperate need of some tender and devoted loving care to bring them to optimal productivity. Light work, I imagined....
New beginnings


Leaf Cutting

Did you know that old anthurium leaves use much sugar at the expense of flower production? Leaves are  therefore pruned to divert more of the plant's energy towards flower production. Too many leaves results in aborted buds, damaged flower buds and crooked stems. Regular pruning is also necessary for better air circulation which reduces problems of molds and bacterial infections. My ideal number of leaves is 4.

Weeding and Irrigation

"Weeds are flowers too once you get to know them" says Winnie the Pooh character, Eeyore. In the flower production business, weeds once identified have to be removed. Regular weeding of ferns and other weeds are required for its control. Chemical control of weeds in anthurium production is not recommended particularly  for newly planted crops and when new shoots are desired. If your production site is not near to a water source then your next labour-intensive task is irrigation.  Mostly I just hope and pray and watch the weather forecasts for rain to save me this task.  
So much to do...

Pests

Everything that can happen will happen. Slugs and snails feed on root tips and damage the leaves and buds. Caterpillars feed on the leaves.  The slug bait has been set and I am monitoring for progress. While white flies are present in the shade house they do not present much of a challenge. Butterflies lay their eggs on the underside of leaves and caterpillars when hatched feed on the leaves and flowers. While frogs are not a problem to the plant they do reduce my own life line every time one jumps from the coconut husks at me!  



One of  the better flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment