Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 16

The Jam Diaries-Golden Apple

It takes a community to make a pot of jam
'Tis the season of golden apples. The green fruit ripens into golden yellow and that is how the fruit got its name. That is my version of the golden apple story and I am sticking to it. Sticking to my fingers will be sugary brown golden apple jam. As I take stock of the ingredients, I realise that one key ingredient is missing-bwaden: one of the spices of life. A special effort is made with my home-made jams, since the commercial jams have a smaller spice content. I walk down the hillside, cross the river and up the slope to the neighbour's to get some leaves. Its time that I plant a tree near my home.
Fresh picked golden apples

Does size matter? 
Large product representations are often used in marketing to capture the interest of the consumer. For instance, cereal boxes advertise large flakes on the front of the package. Despite previous purchasing experience and the fine print disclaimer, we are hooked every time. Jam making is not an exception to the marketing rule. I opt for medium- to large-sized golden apples. This allows for losses in the cooking process as some of the golden apple will break down into the 'sauce'.

The sugar and spice and everything cooks nice
Golden apples are picked, washed and peeled. The coal pot is lit. I prefer cooking jams on charcoals. Some argue that anything cooked this way tastes better and its true. My other reasons are to save cooking gas and to keep the coal pot traditions alive. 
The spices of life
My select spices are cinnamon, bwaden and nutmeg (both the nut and the dried mace). I have been saving up nutmeg mace since I learnt they are great in jams.The sugar and spice are boiled with water to reach a thick sticky consistency. It is important that there is not much liquid in the pot at this time. When the golden apples are added, they will simmer in their own juices.The fruit is added and the pot checked periodically to check the progress of the jam.


Red hot glowing coals

And the pot bubbles over


It takes a community to eat a pot of jam
The pot is off the coal pot and cooled. 
Golden apple-y Goodness
It is time to test my jam making skills. I think it tastes delicious but that is unconfirmed until I receive feed back from the community. I prepare small packages of jam for neighbours and friends. And before you know it there is no jam left. It is time to prepare another pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment